Romania is a thriller land topped by mountains and enigmatic landscapes. A lot of this thunderously gorgeous nation could be explored through day journeys from Bucharest. Dare to drive probably the most stunning and treacherous highway in Europe, float upon the salty Black Sea, speak with the descendants of Vlad the Impaler’s former servants and marvel at a number of the most stunning castles on this planet. And every of those adventures is only a quick drive away from Romania’s capital metropolis.
Map of day journeys from Bucharest
Lease a automotive, placed on a heat coat and head up the mountainside on the stunningly stunning Transfagarasan Street. This is without doubt one of the most beautiful highways on this planet making the drive itself well worth the journey. The Transfagarasan Street traverses the Fagaras Mountains; the tallest mountains in Romania that are also referred to as the Transylvanian Alps.
It takes nerves of metal to drive this windy, slim highway that adheres to the Fagaras mountainside. The highway passes Fagaras Fortress, Vidraru Dam and Balea Lake. The fortress is surrounded by a deep moat and was previously the residence of Michael the Courageous whereas the Vidraru Dam holds again the amazingly blue glacial waters of the Balea Lake.
Attending to the Transfagarasan Street
- Mendacity to the northwest of Bucharest, the Transfagarasan Street could be very straightforward to drive to from the capital. Simply head west on the E81. When you’ve handed Pitesti, proceed on the 7C all the best way there. All in all, it ought to take about two and a half hours to succeed in the beginning of the highway. You may go to each the spectacular Vidraru Dam and delightful Balea Lake earlier than zigzagging your means via the breathtaking Fagaras Mountains.
- If you wish to expertise the breathtaking Transylvanian Alps however don’t need to fear about driving, you may need to take into account taking a sightseeing tour of the Transfagarasan Street. Along with taking in all the attractive surroundings on the highway journey, stops at Curtea de Arges Monastery and Poenari Fortress will provide help to come away with a larger understanding and appreciation for Transylvania and Wallachia’s historic and cultural sights. See journey critiques & costs.
Medieval historical past awaits simply over the border in Bulgaria at Veliko Tarnovo. Considered one of Bulgaria’s oldest cities, Veliko Tarnovo hangs on the aspect of the slithering Yantra River to make for some dramatic views. On the coronary heart of this historical city is the restored Tsarevets Fortress which served because the citadel for the Second Bulgarian Empire.
A lot of the city is unchanged via the centuries. Take a stroll via time on the cobblestone of ul Gurko lane and peruse handcrafts on the Samovodska Charshiya market very like the townsfolk did two centuries in the past. A few of Tarnovo has modernized fairly properly. The brand new aspect of city boasts Bulgaria’s second-largest college and is a haven for backpackers touring between Istanbul and Bucharest.
Attending to Veliko Tarnovo
- One of the simplest ways to go to Veliko Tarnovo, which lies straight south of Bucharest in neighboring Bulgaria, is to take a guided tour to the fabulous medieval metropolis. In addition to passing via some pretty surroundings on the best way there and again, you’ll be taught quite a bit about Bulgaria’s wealthy historical past out of your professional information as you discover town’s stunning sights. Among the many many highlights on present are the Tsaravets Fortress and Arbanasi Village. See journey critiques & costs.
Vlad the Impaler was a infamous determine in historical past. The story of Dracula is alleged to be based mostly on the Romanian ruler. You may go to his fort, which has been remarkably untouched by time, on a brief day journey from Bucharest. Earlier than heading as much as the fort, head just some miles south to go to the city of Arefu.
The extremely preserved historical city remains to be filled with the descendants of those that served Vlad the Impaler and they’re happy with it. Vlad selected Poenari Citadel as his stronghold within the fifteenth century.
The fort’s isolation fed the brutal ruler’s penchant for paranoia. He ultimately remoted himself from his closest mates and even his personal brother. They betrayed him by having him arrested for prime treason the second he emerged from this fort to ask for his or her assist. He escaped the fees however by no means returned to his dwelling on the hill.
Attending to Poenari Citadel
- To get to Poenari Citadel by public transport is a bit difficult however nearly doable. From the Pacii bus cease on the western outskirts of Bucharest, take a two-hour bus experience to Curtea de Arges. From right here, you possibly can both take a 30-minute taxi experience to Poenari Citadel or catch one of many rare buses that head to the close by Vidraru Dam.
- Whereas it nonetheless takes two and a half hours to drive to Poenari Citadel, you at the least have dependable transport to take you there and again and discover the close by sights. From town heart, merely take the E81 heading west till simply previous Pitesti, if you then proceed alongside the 7C all the best way to the fort. After having explored the fort, you could possibly both go to the spectacular Vidraru Dam or the gorgeous church in Curtea de Arges.
- For folks serious about studying extra concerning the historical past of the world in addition to that of Vlad the Impaler, it isn’t a foul concept to take a guided tour; these not solely take you to Poenari Citadel, but additionally across the fortress, monastery and church at Curtea de Arges. See journey critiques & costs.
Sitting on the Black Sea, Constanta lures vacationers from throughout Europe through the summer season months. Constanta is the oldest attested metropolis in Romania at 2,600 years previous. It’s additionally Romania’s largest port and the third largest port on the Black Sea in Europe.
Romania’s oldest metropolis has loads of historic landmarks, museums, outlets, seashores and even a grand on line casino. Lodging right here is far more inexpensive than what you’ll discover in Mamaia and it is just a 15-minute cab experience away. Make sure you try the favored gathering spot of Ovid Sq., the intricate fantastic thing about the Roman Mosaics and the 26-foot Genoese Lighthouse constructed by the Black Sea Firm in 1860.
Attending to Constanta
- Mendacity on Romania’s Black Sea shoreline, Constanta is serviced by trains from Bucharest Nord Gara A station. The quickest journey takes about two hours. Be certain that to verify the prepare schedule upfront, as only some direct trains depart every day. When you arrive, you’ll end up only a quick stroll from Constanta’s spectacular waterfront.
- Driving to Constanta from Bucharest couldn’t be simpler; all it’s essential do is stick on the E81 heading east. It takes about two and a half hours to finish the journey. When you’ve explored Constanta, you possibly can at all times drive to the close by seaside resort city of Mamaia to get pleasure from some sand and solar.
- To profit from your time at Constanta, it’s possible you’ll need to take into account taking a guided tour from Bucharest. In addition to exploring its stunning seafront, the tour additionally takes you to the fascinating Archaeology Museum and Roman Mosaic earlier than stopping off at Mamaia Seashore should you fancy a swim within the Black Sea. See journey critiques & costs.
Thought of one of the vital breathtaking castles in Europe, Peles Citadel is nestled up in opposition to the Bucegi Mountains north of Bucharest. The fort took dozens of stone masons, wooden carvers and artists over 40 years to construct. Their persistence and dedication to their craft present on this
Get right here early as this wildly well-liked vacationer vacation spot can promote out through the summer season months. To see the extremely lavish inside of the fort, you’ll be compelled to take a 40-minute guided tour and the strains could be lengthy. You’ll be captivated with the Honorary Hallway the place German landscapes are hand carved into the partitions and blown away by the fort’s museum-worthy armory.
Attending to Peles Citadel
- Peles Citadel could be very straightforward to get to by public transport. From Bucharest Nord Gara A, trains run on to Sinaia – the closest station – and these normally take simply over an hour and a half. From the station, you possibly can both take a brief taxi experience to the fort or stroll peacefully via the picturesque city till you attain the fort. This takes about half-an-hour. After finishing your go to, there are many pretty mountain walks available close by, in addition to the pleasant Pelisor Citadel to take a look at.
- By automotive, it takes slightly below two hours to get to Peles Citadel. You actually can’t go flawed relating to the instructions, as you merely take the DN1 all the best way there. The encompassing space is dwelling to a great deal of pretty sights, so you could possibly at all times go to Bran Citadel or Brasov city when you’ve explored Peles Citadel.
- Heaps of people that go to Transylvania resolve to take a guided tour to allow them to go to each Bran Citadel and Peles Citadel in the identical journey. With a educated information available, you’ll be taught quite a bit about each castles, and the journey additionally features a strolling tour round close by Brasov city. See journey critiques & costs.
An enormous Hollywood-style signal towers between Soviet blocks to make Brasov’s skyline one in all a sort. Gothic guard towers nonetheless crown town and also you’ll need to enter via medieval gateways. Inside, you’ll discover stunning baroque church buildings and a cafe-lined predominant sq. referred to as Piaţa Sfatului.
For those who can pry your eyes off town’s magnificence for a second, take the time to speak with a neighborhood. They are going to spin you tales concerning the metropolis that embody Vlad the Impaler’s mistress, an previous noblewoman resurrected from her grave and that point when a bear wandered into the city sq..
Attending to Brasov
- As a lot of direct trains run between Brasov and Bucharest, it is rather straightforward to journey from one to the opposite by public transport. Merely hop on a prepare at Bucharest Nord Gara A, and two and a half to a few hours later you’ll end up within the heart of Brasov.
- It takes an identical period of time to succeed in Brasov by automotive, and the instructions couldn’t be extra easy: observe the DN1 all the best way from Bucharest to Brasov. The drive takes you thru some incredible landscapes, and when you’ve had your fill of town, you could possibly cease off on the close by Bran Citadel or Peles Citadel in your means again to Bucharest.
- In reality, many individuals mix a visit to Brasov with a go to to Bran Citadel; a guided tour is without doubt one of the greatest methods to see each in sooner or later. After having explored the spooky Bran Citadel to your coronary heart’s content material, an professional information will take you round all Brasov’s predominant sights, telling you about its fascinating historical past and tradition as you go. See journey critiques & costs.
Bram Stoker introduced Dracula to life within the pages of a e book in 1897. He loosely based mostly his predominant character on Vlad the Impaler and amalgamated lots of his European fort visits to create Dracula’s dwelling.
Bran Citadel appears like Bram Stoker’s imaginative and prescient, however connections to Vlad the Impaler himself are skinny. That doesn’t cease the folks of the city of Bran from embellishing the origin story of this stunning fort. Perched on a hill excessive above the city of Bran, the conical towers of this fort make for an excellent view of the encircling panorama and city under.
The creaky wood flooring are coated in bear pores and skin rugs, the furnishings is ornate and the fireplaces product of ceramic. Queen Maria and King Ferdinand truly lived on this homestead. Ignore any scant tales connecting the magnificent constructing to Bram Stoker or Vlad the Impaler.
Attending to Bran Citadel
- To go to Bran Citadel from Bucharest is nearly potential by public transport, though it is going to take you round three and a half hours a method. Firstly, it’s essential take a direct prepare from Bucharest Nord Gara A to Brasov; this normally takes between two and a half to a few hours. From right here, Bran Citadel is a 45-minute bus journey away; buses depart very frequently from Autogara 2 bus cease. To get to Autogara 2 from Brasov prepare station, it’s best to take a five-minute taxi experience, which can prevent from strolling half-an-hour or having to work out the native buses. The entire journey is sort of time consuming, however on the best way, you move via some spectacular surroundings.
- As you possibly can see, it’s fairly difficult to get there by public transport. Consequently, many individuals want to drive. The journey takes round two and a half hours from Bucharest. Simply head north out of town and hop on the DN1, which can take you virtually all the best way there. Simply earlier than you attain Predeal, flip left onto the 73A and observe it because it zigzags via the beautiful mountain surroundings. When you arrive at Rasnov, you’ll see indicators pointing you to the fort. After having explored the fort, Brasov is simply half-an-hour’s drive away if you wish to see extra of what Transylvania has to supply. Alternatively, Peles Citadel is an excellent place to cease off on the best way again to Bucharest.
- Another choice for visiting Bran Citadel is to take a guided tour from Bucharest. In addition to telling you all concerning the myths and legends that swirl across the fort, your information will take you for a strolling tour of close by Brasov, after which you’ll have time to discover town at your leisure. See journey critiques & costs.