Poland’s second largest metropolis, Krakow, spreads over the Vistula River and affords an amazing vary of high sights. Town boast historic Outdated City structure, inexperienced forested parks, historically Jewish districts, castles and beautiful bridges. To actually expertise what Poland has to supply, nevertheless, think about venturing out for a couple of day journeys from Krakow.
You’ll be capable of discover mountain cities, nationwide parks, spiritual and historic landmarks, and essential cultural locations. There are numerous locations to go to from Krakow which you could get to and from inside a single day. As you propose your subsequent journey, make sure you embrace a couple of of those unbelievable day journeys from Krakow in your itinerary.
Map of day journeys from Krakow
Just a little greater than an hour’s drive north of Krakow is Ogrodzieniec Citadel. Though this citadel is now in wreck, it’s a stunning landmark with loads of historical past. The citadel was constructed within the 14th century, and it’s perched atop a big hill to supply sweeping views over the Kraków-Częstochowa Upland.
It was largely destroyed within the seventeenth century throughout Swedish occupation, and it options in lots of legends and myths in Polish tradition. You possibly can tour the stays of Ogrodzieniec Citadel, take within the views, and even see the stays of the torture chamber within the construction.
Attending to Ogrodzieniec Citadel
- Quite a few buses run on to Ogrodzieniec from Krakow MDA every day, and the journey often takes round an hour. When you arrive, it’s a good suggestion to take a brief taxi journey to the citadel. In any other case, it takes about half-hour to stroll there.
- From the middle of Krakow, it takes about an hour to drive to Ogrodzieniec. Simply head northwest out of town and hop on the DK94 till Olkusz. Right here, take the DW79. When you attain Ogrodzieniec, you’ll see indicators pointing you to the citadel. If you wish to see extra spectacular medieval castles, in your method again to Krakow, cease off at Ojcow Nationwide Park and go to its citadel, or that of Pieskowa Skala.
Straight east of Krakow is Tarnow, a good looking metropolis nicely value a day of exploration. The city sq. is the center of town, and it’s the place you’ll need to spend most of your time. The city sq. is medieval, with the structure and lots of the buildings courting again to the 14th century.
The City Corridor is the landmark constructing within the sq., and you’ll head inside to take a look at a staggering assortment of Polish armor in addition to stunning work. Tarnow can be residence to quite a few historic Jewish websites in addition to three conventional picket church buildings, the oldest of which was constructed within the fifteenth century.
Attending to Tarnow
- To get to Tarnow from Krakow by public transport couldn’t be easier; trains often take lower than an hour from one metropolis to the opposite. From Krakow Plaszow, trains depart very repeatedly, and when you arrive, it’s only a 15-minute stroll to town middle.
- By automobile, it’s simply as straightforward; the A4 connects one metropolis to the opposite. From the middle of Krakow, head south out of town middle and hop on the A4 heading east to Tarnow. The journey takes about an hour. After visiting town, you would mix your journey with a cease on the spectacular Wieliczka Salt Mine, which lies alongside the A4 on the best way to Krakow.
Just below 16 km (10 miles) from Krakow is the village of Tyniec, which is finest recognized for being residence to the Benedictine Abbey of Tyniec. The abbey is perched above the banks of the Vistula River, and it’s now a spiritual web site in addition to a vacationer vacation spot.
The Benedictine Abbey of Tyniec was first based within the 1040s, and it stays the oldest monastery in all of Poland. If you happen to go to, you’ll be capable of tour a lot of the rooms within the abbey, speak with a number of the monks who nonetheless reside and work there and revel in wonderful views over the Vistula from the abbey itself.
Attending to Benedictine Abbey
- Resulting from its proximity to Krakow, there are a variety of the way to get to the Benedictine Abbey of Tyniec. From town middle, as an illustration, it’s just below half-an-hour away by public transport. You possibly can both stroll or take a tram to Most Grunwaldzki cease, the place you then take bus 112 to Tyniec. Right here, you’ll see indicators to the Abbey.
- Some folks choose as a substitute to cycle to the Abbey; it is a notably beautiful technique to get there, and it solely takes 45 minutes. The journey takes you thru the scenic Bielansko-Tyniecki Park. Merely cycle alongside the trail that hugs the northern banks of the Vistula River and cross over when you see indicators to the Abbey. On the best way again you would cease by Krakow Zoo.
- In case you have extra time in your palms, you would take a scenic boat journey down the Vistula River to the Abbey. This takes round an hour and a half, and boats depart from proper subsequent to Wawel Royal Citadel.
- Alternatively, you might need to merely take a taxi in case you’re a bit pressed for time. From town middle, it solely takes 20 minutes to Tyniec and may value round 60zl.
- One more technique to benefit from the Abbey’s sights is to take a sightseeing cycle tour to Tyniec, passing by way of Wolski Forest on the best way and stopping off at varied historic and cultural landmarks as you go. When you arrive, you’ll get to discover the church, go to the museum, and be taught all in regards to the Abbey out of your information. See journey evaluations & costs.
East of Krakow is Auschwitz-Birkenau, a former Nazi focus camp from World Warfare II. There are numerous excursions that take guests to the camp for a day from Krakow, and it’s a must-see vacation spot for these occupied with WWII historical past.
Though it may be a tragic and reflective go to, it is very important study this darkish time in Europe’s historical past. Auschwitz-Birkenau is residence to a big State Museum, and lots of the buildings stay in place. You possibly can see the place prisoners lived, labored and died in horrific methods beneath the Nazi regime.
Attending to Auschwitz-Birkenau
- There are a few methods to get to Auschwitz-Birkenau by public transport. By bus, it takes round an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours. The buses repeatedly depart from Krakow primary station and can drop you off proper subsequent to Auschwitz. Another choice is to take an hour and a half practice journey to Oswiecim station, which is 2 kilometers from Auschwitz. From right here, you’ll be able to both stroll for half-an-hour or take a brief taxi or bus journey to the somber web site.
- By automobile, it solely takes an hour to achieve Auschwitz-Birkenau, though this does embrace tolls. After heading north out of Krakow metropolis middle, hop on the DK7 heading west earlier than persevering with on the A4 to simply exterior Chrzanow. Right here, take the 933 to Oswiecim, the place you’ll discover indicators directing you to Auschwitz-Birkenau. There’s a automobile park on the entrance so that you can park at.
- But an alternative choice for visiting Auschwitz-Birkenau is to take a guided tour. That is extremely popular with lots of people, as having an skilled readily available actually means you be taught so much in regards to the focus camp’s horrific previous. Along with this, your educated information will train you in regards to the historical past of the Holocaust in addition to WWII in a shifting and unforgettable tour. See journey evaluations & costs.
Czestochowa is a spiritual vacation spot the place many pilgrims come to worship. Particularly, the monastery of Jasna Góra in Czestochowa is a holy place and a major vacation spot within the Roman Catholic Church. Jasna Góra Monastery is a shrine to the Virgin Mary, and it’s also residence to quite a few essential spiritual and historic relics.
The Black Madonna of Częstochowa, for instance, is claimed to have been painted by St. Luke the Evangelist throughout or simply after Jesus’ lifetime. The monastery was based within the 14th century, and in the present day greater than three million spiritual pilgrims go to Czestochowa annually.
Attending to Czestochowa
- From Krakow primary station, there are a couple of direct trains to Czestochowa daily; they typically take about an hour and a half in complete to achieve the favored pilgrimage web site. They don’t depart that repeatedly, nevertheless, so one other various is to take the bus from the identical station in Krakow. The bus journey takes about three hours. As such, it’s a good suggestion to plan your journey to Czestochowa nicely prematurely.
- To drive there takes round two hours, however this does at the least imply you’re assured a dependable type of transport there and again. After heading north out of town middle, hop on the DW794 and carry on it till you attain Staromiescie. Right here, change onto the DK46, which can take you all the best way to Czestochowa.
- To keep away from all the effort of driving or taking public transport, many individuals choose as a substitute to take a guided tour. These not solely take you round Czestochowa’s spiritual websites, but additionally to the sixteenth century Pieskowa Skala Citadel, which lies alongside the historic and scenic Path of the Eagles’ Nests. See journey evaluations & costs.
Simply half-hour north of Krakow is Ojcow Nationwide Park, a vacation spot named after the city and chateau ruins of Ojcow. The Nationwide Park is the smallest in Poland, however its proximity to Krakow makes it a preferred day journey spot.
Two rivers run by way of the park, creating lush valleys amidst numerous cliffs, ravines and caves. Unbelievable limestone rock formations are main sights, and miles of climbing paths provide loads of out of doors recreation choices.
You can too see an abundance of wildlife, together with beavers, badgers, bats and nicely over 100 sorts of birds. There are additionally a number of castles throughout the park’s borders, permitting guests to discover the ruined Gothic citadel of Ojcow in addition to the preserved Renaissance citadel at Pieskowa Skała.
Attending to Ojcow Nationwide Park
- Whereas it’s doable to go to Ojcow Nationwide Park from Krakow by public transport, buses depart fairly occasionally, so it’s a good suggestion to verify the schedule prematurely. From the Nowy Klepartz bus cease within the metropolis middle, the journey takes about 40 minutes, and also you need to get off at Kazimierz Citadel. From right here, you’ll discover plenty of paths snaking their method into the nationwide park, and there are many signposts to information your method.
- To get to Ojcow Nationwide Park by automobile additionally takes about 40 minutes. When you’ve headed north out of town middle, take the DW794 to Skala, the place you’ll see indicators to the nationwide park and parking at Kazimierz Citadel. When you arrive, you’ll be able to discover the attractive nature at your leisure. After you’ve had your fill, you would drive half-an-hour additional to go to the spectacular ruins of Ogrodzieniec Citadel.
- To pack as a lot into your day as doable, it’s nicely value taking a guided tour to Ojcow Nationwide Park. Along with exploring its unbelievable landscapes, your skilled information may also take you to 2 spectacular medieval castles, the place you’ll be taught extra in regards to the space’s fascinating historical past. See journey evaluations & costs.
Head south of Krakow, and also you’ll get to the mountain resort of Zakopane. This vacation spot is a winter wonderland and probably the most standard ski locations in all of Poland. Within the coronary heart of the Tatra Mountains, you’ll be able to ski or snowboard through the winter months. Regardless of the season, nevertheless, Zakopane is the best day journey getaway spot.
Town is well-known for the fantastic thing about its picket villas, courting from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. A few of these now home museums, whereas others have been transformed into resorts, or stay in non-public palms. Mountain climbing choices are plentiful within the Tatra Nationwide Park, and the Krupówki promenade is a good looking procuring vacation spot.
Attending to Zakopane
- Mendacity two hours to the south of Krakow, Zakopane is well reachable by public transport. From Krakow MDA – the principle bus station – buses repeatedly go away for Zakopane, and the journey takes about two hours in complete. On the best way, you move by way of some beautiful surroundings. When you arrive at Zakopane Plac PKP, it’s then a 15-minute stroll to the middle of city.
- It takes an identical period of time to drive to Zakopane. You’ll comply with nearly precisely the identical route the bus takes. From town middle, head south throughout the Vistula River and take the 776, earlier than persevering with on the S7 for just below an hour. After this, take the DK47 for an additional 45 minutes; this may lead you proper to Zakopane. You possibly can both park the automobile and discover the middle on foot, drive to a number of the close by viewpoints within the surrounding mountains, or go for a hike within the magnificent nature throughout you.
- Another choice for visiting Zakopane is to hitch a sightseeing tour. In addition to taking you across the middle of city, the tour additionally features a journey on a funicular to the highest of Mount Gubalowka and a visit to the Tatra Museum to be taught extra in regards to the native historical past and tradition. See journey evaluations & costs.
Probably the most standard day journeys from Krakow is visiting the Wieliczka Salt Mine. Don’t count on a country salt mine, as a result of Wieliczka is in contrast to anything on the planet. As you stroll alongside saline corridors fully underground, you’ll be capable of see total church buildings and ballrooms carved from salt. It’s even doable to spend the evening within the salt mine, and the lodging is extra like an upscale resort than a tenting expertise.
Attending to Wieliczka Salt Mine
- From the middle of Krakow, Wieliczka Salt Mine is simply half-an-hour away by public transport, and it’s not too sophisticated to get there. Bus 304 departs repeatedly from Galeria Krakowska; the cease you need to get off at is named Wieliczka Kopalnia Soli. From right here, you’ll see indicators pointing you to the mine only a quick distance away.
- Alternatively, you’ll be able to take the practice from Krakow primary station to Wieliczka Rynek-Kopalnia – the cease you need to get off at. The practice journey takes round 20 minutes. When you arrive, it’s a couple of ten-minute stroll to the mines, and also you’ll actually see indicators telling you the place to go.
- It’s simply as straightforward to go to Wieliczka Salt Mine by automobile, though it’d really take you longer than public transport, relying on the site visitors. Head east out of town middle to the Botanical Gardens and comply with the highway subsequent to it south throughout the Vistula River. Right here, you need to head southeast on Wielicka, which you then must comply with till you see indicators for the mines. After visiting the mines, it’s nicely value stopping by the scenic village of Tyniec, which is just a 20-minute drive away and lies on the outskirts of Krakow.
- One of many best methods to go to the salt mines is to take a guided tour. With an expert information readily available, you’ll be taught all about its fascinating historical past. They’ll take you round all the principle sights, explaining the whole lot as they go. See journey evaluations & costs.